[Rhodes22-list] General Boats (Rose & Stan's) position paper

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Sun Dec 27 11:54:26 EST 2009

Rhodies All:

Thanks for re-visiting this topic - and opening the door for GB to re-visit
it:

1.    As to the question of who owns the List, there is no question:  It
belongs to all Rhodes owners, not to General Boats.  The real question is
"The relationship between GB and the List".

    Analogous to the "Right to Choose/Pro Life" issue, the history of the
Shakers' religion parallels the facts-of-life reality that the List's
continuity vitality is tied to the health of GB.  (I think Allen Greenspan
said that.)   Yearly exposure at Annapolis and shows all over the country,
magazine and book articles, an internet number one rating, a living entity
to go to for a mast, cb or pop top replacement; 99% of the unusually
brilliant characters collection of Rhodies get the value of the GB/List
connection.   For the 1% who can not get it, the argument is that, as owner
of more Rhodes 22s (at least in this economic climate) than anyone else on
the List, as GB CEO, I claim a right to add my two, no make that four, cents
when the topic and spirits move me.

2.    As to what subjects can be brought up on the List, my 4 votes, OK make
that one vote if we are playing by my party's democratic
enlightened-capitalism ideals, have been and continue to be, there should be
no limits   The List's history shows that most losers self-remove, given
enough rope.

3     As to the issue of General Boat's claim to residuals that, in spite of
the List's past posted logic, still strikes some of you on the List as
"insane", there now is in place a working solution (based on List input) in
the Numbered Support Certificate program:  A win, win, win for "Used" Rhodes
buyers, sellers and your builder.  All come away from private re-sales with
a pay-off that those who do not take advantage of this voluntary public
option fail to have broadened their focus to understand.

4.    As to entrepreneurial Rhodes owners, we support their efforts and have
directed endless new owners to the services they can get from "in-business"
Rhodies and other parts manufacturers.   We do have one issue in this
theatre and it makes our blood boil because we did not see it coming and do
not deserve it and that is our last numbered 5 "As to".   It starts off
being destructive but ends up with a productive resolution, so bear with
your company if you value its state of mind.

5.    As to General Boats being pissed off with Art:   In keeping with our
encouraging young entrepreneurs, when Art expressed an interest in making
boom rooms, since the ones we were having made were so costly, we encouraged
him by letting him use the plant's facilities and overhead, stay at the
plant's guest room and criticizing the design's evolution - it was to be a
joint venture.  When the boom room was ready to show we went to the
difficulty and expense of getting a second in-water spot at Annapolis.  That
bill came in for even more since it turned out that Art had unilaterally
decided to use the slip space for an additional day more then we had
contracted for.   It should have been our first omen but we glossed over
it - it would be a business expense that the new boom room business would be
paying for.  A few orders came in and Art dutifully sent GB a commission.
A commission?   We though this a business venture.  This should have been
our second notice that this was not going the way we envisioned it but in
the scheme of GB's business it was a small item and we had more pressing
matters.   OK, we will settle for his royalty idea.   But, if we were not to
share in the profits, then it is Art's business and he should be paying for
his business costs, like show space.  Those who know Art better may not have
been surprised by his response that our investments were gifts.  (This was
beginning to sound like a Judge Judy case.)   Noticing a lot of boom room
activity on the List, we asked Art if our payments were up to date.   He
informed us that we were out and that we had agreed to be out.  Shocking
news that started a slow burn.   Pouring more fuel on our growing flame, he
announced to the List that he would also be supplying Pop Top Enclosures, an
item that was not in the Art/GB business plan and an item we have a large
inventory of sitting at the plant.

    I like to like all Rhodes owners, even Rummy, and I did like Art before
contacting his disingenuous side, so I have a suggested solution that can
get us back to square one and in line with the argument in "As to" number
one:

a)    Art continues his Boom Room business and reimburses General Boats for
its monies laid out for his business and has commissions brought up to date
and forthcoming on future sales.

b)    Art agrees that, supporting his claims of supporting the welfare of
General Boats, he will not build or sell Rhodes pop top enclosures or,
alternatively, will contract with GB to make pop top enclosures exclusively
for General Boats.

c)    Art, whose claim for sympathy is that he has made an investment in
equipment for his sewing business, contracts to sew interior and exterior
cushion covers sets for GB where General Boats will supply the fabric and
General Boats will use its own in-plant cut to shape foam to install in said
contracted covers.

d)    With a working agreement that Art will stay with, and the supply to GB
of products that meet GB's high standards, General Boats will have no
objection to Art manufacturing and selling-direct, other boat items from
boat and tiller weather protective covers to interior window curtains.

We appreciate some out there feel business is business, it's a free country
and beside we should not be bothering them with issues concerning the well
being of GB.  Of course you who feel this way have the right to feel this
way.   As we have the right to react in kind with those electing to live
with this kind of disconnect.

And while the List majority seems to have approved List advertising, I have
to add that Cindy's book "America's Bubble Economy", that came out late 06
and turned out to be right on, prompted Wiley and Sons to ask for another
one.  "After Shock", at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc. has gone from
obscurity to the top of the financial books seller's list in just a few days
before running out and waiting for the second printing.  I read the galleys
and I hope this one is dead wrong.

And that is all I have to say. (For now.)    If anyone does not like it, six
of you, better make that three, can meet me 3/11 at the OK Coral at High
Noon.  Since I will probably be 85, it will make a fair fight.

stan