[Rhodes22-list] I'm baaaaaaaack.

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Feb 16 10:13:05 EST 2009

Actually, had a number of issues that kept me pretty busy, so I "got
behind" on the fun stuff for a few weeks.

We did a migration at work from an older NetWare server to several new
Suse Linux servers. The server migrations went well, but migrating our
email system didn't. I had to drop back and punt and rebuild the server
for that system, then resolve the issues involved. I THOUGHT that had me
finished, but then the owner decided to immediately implement a document
management system (believe it or not, part of the email system). That
meant installing yet another server, and designing the document
management system as well.

That was all OK, I've had hurry-up-rush-learn-something-new situations
before, but the real killer was that I came down with shingles right in
the middle of it all.

I'd always thought that was one of those almost funny type diseases
that's more of a nuisance than anything else. Boy, was I ever wrong. I
started off feeling like I had a mild case of the flu. Then my whole
right side started aching, as if I'd be sparring in karate and took some
round house  kicks to my right side. It got so bad that I told my wife
if it was on the left side, I'd have thought I was having heart
problems. I had that combination of sore and flu-like for about four
days, and then the rashes came in, in a rough band shape. That was the
point where my wife said she thought I had shingles.

We went to the dr's office on the next Monday (my sister's a nurse
there), and they confirmed it was shingles. He prescribed some meds that
seemed to help, a lot. Still not completely over it, but getting there.

Probably the most aggravating part about it is that my oldest daughter
had a baby shortly before the onset. Now I can't hold baby Emma until
everything's cleared up (it's a form of chickenpox, and can't expose the
baby).

Sorry to bore the list with medical issues - but hey, you asked :)