[Rhodes22-list] Porta Potty

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Feb 23 04:34:24 EST 2009

My O'Day 25 still has a porta-potty. I've got all the stuff to put
together a real head, but haven't installed it yet.

We've had it tip over, a number of times. No muss, no fuss. We've had
some pretty outrageous ... events ... in the head, and they've resulted
in no more odor than you would expect in any other small WC type
enclosure. Depending on frequency of use, You might have to change the
water once or twice during a week with two people using it. Even that is
not a major issue.

Cleanliness - there is an additive you put in the "flush water" that
keeps it all reasonably odor free. I haven't checked, but I suspect it
also helps break down the solids. Behave as you would in any other head,
and you'll have no problem there.

Odor - see above

Safety - see above. A well built unit really does a good job of keeping
it all together. I think you'd have to try to make a mess with the unit
we have.

Maintenance - this one might be a bit more of a problem. You haven't
said where you're going. If you'll be marina hopping the week, you can
empty the unit and put fresh water in at the marina. If you're going to
be afloat the entire time, that might pose some problems. There are
different regulations, according to where you go, and how far offshore,
related to dumping the waste. On a week long trip, you might need to do so.

Overall though, don't worry, be happy. Go enjoy your trip.