[Rhodes22-list] Need to replace Hatch

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Feb 25 10:53:59 EST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 21:46, Baywind wrote:
> My plan is to use the original hatch as
> a template. I am going to buy BC plywood at Lowes and use Polyester
> Resin
> tinted with white to completely seal it.
> Questions:
> 1. Do I have to have a hinge in it?
> 3. Can I make it 2 piece instead of the hinge so I can have it just
> top
> open?

There are two things to consider if you want a 2-piece hatch -

1) On most of our boats there is nothing to secure the top half in
place if it's not attached to the bottom half.  It just sits in the
recessed area, so you'd have to figure out some way to keep it in
place when closed up.

2) The hinge also serves as a water barrier.  When the hatch is closed
up, water will run down the top half and can leak under the joint into
the cabin if it's not sealed in some way.

In other variations, I believe owners have placed a piece of weather
stripping between the two halves or added a vinyl "drip strip" to the
bottom edge of the top half so that it sheds water away from the
joint.  This also gives you more options for hinging instead of the
long piano-style hinge with a gasket.  With a little extra thought,
you may be able to install hinges with a removable pin (a la door
hinges).  Then you could leave the hinges in place to close up the
hatch or use it as a table.  Or remove the pin and take the top half
off altogether.  In any case, if security is a factor, hinges must be
mounted on the inside.

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22