[Rhodes22-list] Need to replace Hatch

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Feb 26 14:27:20 EST 2009

Rod,

Tough answer.

Aside from getting two solar panels instead of one, it may have been the
biggest questionalble expenditure.  I had Stan install two solar panels
instead of one simply because it looked better.

I didn't get a chance to try the manual lift before I got my boat.  With a
7:1 lift ratio, my 135 lb. motor would have only required only about 20 lbs.
of effort to lift.  I went with the electric motor lift simply because I
thought it was cool.

I admit that I have had a lot of complimentary comments on the lift, but I'm
not sure if it was the right decision.  The winch barely raises my bulky
engine, and I wonder if it isn't an excessive drain on my battery.
Sometimes I apply manual grease to the lift just because I lose patience
with its speed.  The winch is loud enough to grab everyone's attention each
use, which was good at first but has now become an annoyance even for an
exhibitionist like myself.  It has been described as a coffee grinder by my
marina mates.

I would try both the manual and electric lifts first to decide which is
better.

Lee