[Rhodes22-list] Captain of the Metaphor - Happy New Year

Metaphor mwager at bluecrab.org
Fri Jan 2 18:31:17 EST 2009

Mary Lou Troy-2 wrote:

> What would Tilghman be like as an anchorage? For all the times we've
> been up and down the Miles, I don't think I've ever seen the marks.

Round Rich's Neck, fairly wide, then head in toward the narrow spit the
makes up the Neck.  There are two green daymarkers followed by a red one
that mark the entrance to the creek. The first of the greens is a flashing
one at night. The channel can be can be fairly shallow and hence tricky, but
then I've been coming in with a 5' draft.  Once inside, there's decent room
for several boats to rafte up.  The shoreline has houses, but they are
mostly hidden, and the natives are generally harmless, as long as you don't
mention my name.

Mary Lou Troy-2 wrote:

> We've found the R22 a great boat for wandering. The Choptank is
> certainly a great place to wander about. A couple of years ago we
> spent a night or two in Galesville on the Western Shore and then
> sailed across the Bay, motored through Knapps and sailed to LaTrappe.
> All of the sailing (except avoiding a freighter mid-Bay) was on one
> tack. We looked at all the creeks to the north of us as we sailed
> down the Choptank thinking we would need weeks to explore them all.
> It seems that we like so many of the places we have been (Knapps,
> Taylor's Island & Phillips Creek on the Little Choptank and LaTrappe
> and Oxford on the Choptank that we hate to give them up to explore
> something new. We do try to get at least one new place each time
> while revisiting old favorites. Our wandering has taken us as far
> south as Solomans and as far north as the Sassafras. We still have a
> lot of places in between that are on the to-do list.

When I sailed for Outward Bound, we ranged over the whole Bay, Eastern and
Western Shore, from Baltimore to St. Mary's to Eastern Neck to Wye Island.
The Little Choptank was probably my favorite, as it had so many places to
stopover that were pristine, and with a 18' draft with the centerboard up,
we could get into a lot of tight places, even coming through the marshes
under oars of Slaughter Creek to get to Taylor's Island from Punch Point on
the Bay.

With the Rhodes' draft, a lot of those areas are very accessible.  I still
have my old instructor's cruising guide somewhere.  When you're planning a
trip, ask me about some specific points.  I might be able to give you a bit
of information that might be difficult to get from a chart alone.