[Rhodes22-list] is there a metallurgist in the house?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 09:57:21 EST 2009

Joe,

Your situation is not unlike the "knuckles" on my landing gear.  Later models have grease zerks but early ones like mine call for a mill spec product (sewing machine oil in 1948).  LPS1 will meet the mil spec but doesn't trap dust.  Use this flow chart -

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lubricants_pg/LPS_MROLubricant.html

I'd recommend cleaning all the old lubricant out first.  You want surface contact with the lubricant and any residual will prevent that.  That's why I clean wheel bearings with gasoline instead of in a parts washer - the residual solvent from the washer will prevent grease from securing to the face of the rollers in the bearing. LPS1, 2, or 3 covers 90% of the mil specs I need in the hangar when something other than grease is called for.

Brad