[Rhodes22-list] GPS (followed by political commentary for Chris G. and Bob S.)

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Jan 4 17:18:18 EST 2009

I have a Magellan GPS Color.  I find it works fine.  Like John I originally
got it for Hiking but use it on the boat.  I have the bracket that John has
but I mount mine in the car.  I have the DC power cord.  I am sorry but for
some reason it does not eliminate batteries.  After about 10 to 12 hours the
batteries go dead and it beeps at you.

It has good memory functions and return route functions.  It can find your
way back if it is too dark to see anything.

Ed K

Political Addendum:
"The big political crusade today is for "affordable" medical care through
the government. No one believes that government is just going to be more
efficient, and thereby have lower costs that will be reflected in lower
prices for medications and medical treatment.

It might seem as if adding the costs of government bureaucracies to the
costs of medications and medical treatment would make it impossible for the
total costs to go down. But again, the impossible is no problem in politics.

Many countries around the world already have government-run medical care.
People who get sick in these countries usually wait much longer to get
treatment, including months on waiting lists for surgery, often paying in
pain or debilitation, rather than money.

High-tech medical devices like MRIs are also far less common in these
countries than in the United States. With medical care as with anything
else, you can always get poorer quality at a lower price, though that is no
bargain, especially when you are sick.

What you may have in mind are lower prices with no reduction in quality.
While that may be impossible, don't expect that fact to stop politicians
from offering it, even if they can't deliver.

byThomas Sowell