[Rhodes22-list] To Deploy & Board An Inflatable from a Rhodes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 7 17:09:12 EST 2009

At 03:07 PM 1/7/2009, you wrote:
>A few questions.
>How does one safely deploy and board an inflatable boat from the
>Rhodes?  Mary Lou, I remember reading that you use one occasionally;
>How do you do it without taking an unplanned plunge?

Very carefully! It's really not too different than boarding an
inflatable from any other boat. You do have to climb over the stern
rail to stand on the swim ladder.

We inflate the inflatable in the cockpit and then throw it over the
side (painter firmly attached to the inflatable and to us.) We take
it around to the swim ladder and pull it in close.

First to board (say its me) I take my life in my hands (not really),
climb over the stern rail and position myself firmly on the deployed
swim ladder. Keeping all my weight firmly on the swim ladder I pull
the inflatable around to where I can get a foot into it. That foot
should be as close to the center of the inflatable as I can make it
and still do a weight transfer. I'm short so it doesn't get too close
to the center. At this point I have all my weight still on the
ladder. The inflatable is below my boarding foot and still firmly
held in place by that foot against the R22. I then cautiously
transfer my weight to the foot in the inflatable, bring the other
foot along and sit down still holding the inflatable against the R22.
If there are two of you the person not boarding helps in holding the
inflatable against the R22. That applies whether it is the second or
first to board.

The first time we ever did this maneuver we got a lot of water into
the inflatable because the inflatable wasn't as inflated as it could
have been. Since then, knock on wood, the system has worked well. The
key is never to transfer your weight until you are sure the
inflatable is securely under you.

Can't comment on the GPS. Our old Garmin doesn't do any mapping.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD