[Rhodes22-list] To Deploy & Board An Inflatable from a Rhodes

Metaphor mwager at bluecrab.org
Wed Jan 7 17:37:55 EST 2009

Caesarsailor wrote:

> Second question: Has anyone been usiing a Garmin GPS 76Cx, what's your
> experience, and would you recommend it? I want to get a topographical card
> for this unit both for hiking and coastal navigation.  There is an SD card
> that covers the entire US, and there are cards for specific areas; are the
> detail the same in both types?
>
> Then one can get the infomation on CD which is read on your computer
> and can be uploaded to your GPS unit, and the SD cards that can only be
> read from your GPS; What's the best way to go?
>
> Caesar
> "Gentle Breeze"

Ceasar - I use a Garman 60CS, one step down from the CSx, so I don't have
the sd card option.  I purchased a set of MapSource maps on CD from Garmin,
which I have to then load into the GPSr from my laptop.  The downside is
that I can only keep a limited amount of maps on the unit at a time, usually
about 2-3 states or a pathway between several that I might be traveling.
Friends who have the CSx like the portability of the sd card option and the
larger coverage areas.  Unless I carry my laptop with me, with the accompany
map disk, there is no way to add on to the mapping if I proceed out of the
zones I have already loaded.  Conversely, if you can put up with that con,
the CS and mapping software is considerably cheaper.  Recognize, however,
that the mapping is land mapping only and does not show navigation features
of depths. For sailing charts, you need to order the Bluewater map set.  I
believe that is also the case with the sd cards as well.

Hope this helps...

Mike
s/v Metaphor