[Rhodes22-list] Hammock

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jan 13 11:50:42 EST 2009

Lee,

Your description got me to thinking.  We have an old mesh style hammock
squirreled away up forward (if it hasn't rotted) that I may try as soon as
it gets warm,  You're exactly right that it sort of wraps around you, making
it is very hard to fall out of it.  In the past, we've even used it as a
seine net to catch fish.  Hmmm, I like all things on the boat to have more
that one purpose and can be squished into almost no space since storage is
at a premium.

Great idea #1 for 2009!

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Leland" <LKUHN at cnmc.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:35 AM

> Wally,
>
> I'm not a happy camper.  I could blame it on my years in the military
> where
> we would "train as we'd fight," but I never thought I needed to train to
> be
> miserable.  It just comes natural when you're sleeping on the ground in
> bad
> weather with bugs and other critters.  I'm not a good person for advice on
> camping or cruising.
>
> However, this hammock seems ideal.  It's an Army Ranger hammock.  The
> netting bunches up so small that you can fit it in your pocket.  You can't
> tell from the pictures, but the netting can be pulled up around your body
> so
> you can't accidently roll out of the hammock.  I bought mine at a Clothing
> Sales Store on an army base, but I assume you can get one at an army
> surplus
> store or something similar wherever camping supplies are sold.
>
> Lee
>

> TN Rhodey-2 wrote:
>>
>> Lee, Any advice on brand or type of hammock?
>>
>> Wally
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Leland <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Jerry, Art & Chet,
>>>
>>> I tried inserting an image but it said my 1.9MB pictures were too large.
>>> checked about 20 related picture-posting-troubleshooting posts in the
>>> archives and none helped, including Ed's.  Let's see if posting them on
>>> the
>>> Web works:
>>>
>>> http://www.msnusers.com/Rhodes22-AtEase/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
>>> http://www.msnusers.com/Rhodes22-AtEase/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
>>>
>>> The first picture should be just the hammock; the next one the hammock
>>> is
>>> supporting my 150 pound son; on the last one it is supporting me (weight
>>> more than 150 pounds).
>>>
>>> I tied the forward end of the hammock around the mast above a cleat.  I
>>> tied
>>> the aft end around the middle of the stern rail.  The stern rail flexed
>>> little when I got in the hammock, but it seemed plenty sturdy to support
>>> my
>>> weight.  If there's a concern about damaging the stern rail, you could