[Rhodes22-list] Hammock

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Jan 14 13:15:33 EST 2009

Tom,

I thought about tying the hammock to the backstays but I wasn't sure how
I would attach it.  Attaching it to the actual stays would be difficult
because it would slide.  Attaching it to the line that pulls the stays
together would pull the mast back, but I would guess that the tension
would be pulling on the forward stay.  The chainplate would probably
fail before the stay, and they're both probably strong enough that it
wouldn't be a problem.

You could attach the hammock to the traveler, but I'd rather risk
bending the stern rail than the traveler.

The motor puts a lot of weight on the transom, so I wouldn't attach the
hammock to the lift or the motor.

The safest attachment would be to the stern eyes and then running the
hammock over the transom instead of the stern rail.  You would want the
hammock tight enough so it wouldn't rest on the forward edge of the
lazarette.  It would be a hassle to tie a line to the eyes each time, so
you would want to use snap hooks for an easy connection.  Snap hooks
might be a good idea no matter how you connect it.

As for the stern rail, it flexes but I don't think it would bend.  I
think that the tension on the rear and side supports is pretty well
balanced, since the hammock is pulling down and forward.

You'll want the forward connection on the mast above the tabernacle so
its sharp edges won't do any damage.

Seems like I've put a lot of thought and effort into something that I'll
probably never use.

Lee