[Rhodes22-list] Organic deck deposits

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jan 19 13:45:18 EST 2009

Why go to the trouble of using high tech, powered deterrents?  Just be a
poor host to these birds and they will choose a more comfortable boat to
hang out.  For years I have been successful at ridding my R22. and several
other sailboats. of cormorants (sea crows) by using Nixalite bird spikes
atop the mast (http://www.nixalite.com/nixalitemodels.aspx).

Before raising the mast, drill a couple of small holes (1/8", I think) as
described in the Nixalite installation instructions in the masthead (top) to
secure the clips that hold a small portion of the product to the masthead
with short stainless self-tapping screws.  The spikes stick straight up when
the mast is stepped (be careful of VHF aerial and Windex, if so equipped)
and do not interfere with the sail.  Additionally, I use a couple of pieces
of 20 to 30 pound test monofilament line strung from the mast to the side
stays, starting an inch or so above each spreader.  This prevents the birds
from roosting on the top of the spreaders as well.

Obviously, this does not work if the birds tend to sit on the deck, rails,
boom or bimini.  For this problem, you may need to be more creative or
temporarily place monofilament line at appropriate locations to be removed
when the boat is occupied.  The time spent setting up and removing the
deterrents is a fraction of the time necessary to constantly clean up after
the birds.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY