[Rhodes22-list] Organic deck deposits

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jan 20 15:44:52 EST 2009

Alan,

Please do not use Comet Cleanser on boats.  In addition to the abrasives
that could harm the gel coat, it contains chlorine bleach which is harmful
to aquatic environments.  If you want a scouring powder, use baking soda.
To bleach, use hydrogen peroxide.

The following are some common alternatives to harsh chemicals:

Toxic product           Alternative
-----------------            -------------

      Detergent and soap Fresh water and a lot of elbow grease
      Bleach Hydrogen peroxide
      Scouring powders Baking soda or salt
      Floor cleaner ¼ cup of white vinegar in 2 liters of water
      Window cleaner 1 cup of white vinegar in 1 liter warm water
      Varnish cleaner Wipe with ½ cup of vinegar and ½ cup water solution
      Head cleaner Brush with baking soda
      Shower cleaner Wet surface, use scouring cloth with baking soda
      Aluminum cleaner Use 2 tablespoons cream of tartar in 1 liter of water
      Chrome cleaner/ polish Apple cider vinegar to clean, baby oil to
polish
      Fiberglass stain remover Baking soda paste
      Drain Opener Disassemble and replace; avoid toxic products
      Mildew Remover Paste of equal parts lemon juice and salt
      Wood polish Use 3 parts olive oil and 1 part white wine vinegar;
almond or olive oil (interior unvarnished wood only)

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Alan Robertson" <bigal_61 at msn.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009