[Rhodes22-list] shrinkage after use

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Jan 21 19:32:23 EST 2009

Burt, Jay, Bob, et. al.,

Read what the representative said, "On shrinkage after use. Samson's
competitors use cheap Nylon in a 2
stage process and will shrink. Samson uses a 4 stage process where we will
have no shrinkage in our nylon line."

"You can take a 12ft piece of nylon rope from our competitors and Samson
rope and put them both in a bucket of water and go to lunch and when you
come back you'll notice that 12ft. piece from the other guys is now 9ft. and
Samson is still at 12ft."

Read, some shrink and some do not.  So Burt if you use his line or line from
another manufacturer who uses a similar process, it will not shrink (Tell
that to Mike W.)  However, some manufacturers' line will shrink.  I suspect
that degrees of shrinkage will vary.

So, the question to Jay is, 'Is that line the original line or did someone
replace it with one that will shrink?  I guess what the man said is that if
we use Samson line we only have to change it once.

So Burt you are right in some instances but not all.

Ed K
Addendum:  "Sailboats are equipped with a variety of engines, but all of
them work on the internal destruction principle, in which highly machined
parts are rapidly converted into low-grade scrap, producing in the process
energy in the form of heat, which is used to boil water; vibration, which
improves the muscle tone of the crew; and a small amount of rotational
force, which drives the average size sailboat at speeds approaching one
knot."