[Rhodes22-list] How fast does your R22 go?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Jan 24 13:46:44 EST 2009

6.6 mph is 5.7352432 knots according to the Google calculator. (Just
entered 6.6 mph to knots in the Google search box - too darned easy!)
I'm assuming that it was not current assisted.

We use our GPS to measure speed but on the Chesapeake we are almost
always assisted or slowed by a current. We are generally slowpokes
but have seen 5.5 knots sailing where we were fairly certain we
didn't have much current with us. We've seen more than that with a
current. We can do an easy 6 knots motoring and have seen above that
(speed over ground) motoring with the current.

Slowest sails have been into a current with the GPS not registering
anything (.9 knots is as low as it will go). We've sailed against a
current in light air where we didn't actually go anywhere.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD