[Rhodes22-list] How fast does your R22 go?

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 15:18:37 EST 2009

Early last summer we were 1/2 mile up river from Oriental when the motor
mount gave out and we had to call TowBoat US for a ride back.  (I was
grateful that Ed had posted a warning about this possibility on older boats
and a safety line kept the Tohatsu from falling to the bottom of the Neuse,
so thanks Ed)  For the record, it was a 20 year crappy aftermarket outboard
pad that failed.  All of Stan's parts were OK.

Not long after the distress call, a 35' tow boat with a BIG diesel and a 23"
screw arrived to tow us back to New Bern.   The tow captain let out all his
line so we could stay out of his exhaust cloud, then opened up to "tow
cruising speed".  Raven jumped on a plane and we silently skimmed into the
sunset at about 8 gps speed (I think it was mph) and made the almost twenty
miles back in under two hours.

The water was flat so the ride was smooth, stable and fast.  With nothing to
do except enjoy the ride back, Tana and I opened a bottle of wine and
toasted the sunset from the foredeck in an 8 mph evening breeze.

PT