[Rhodes22-list] Lee helm

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Fri Jul 3 15:53:01 EDT 2009

Interesting discussion and I am not sure that I have experienced the
same thing others are reporting.  Weather helm or lee helm has to do
where the Center of Lateral Resistance (CLR) on the boat is in
relation to the Center of Effort (CE) on the sails (especially the
main).  The further aft you can get the CE the more weather helm you
get.  I am not a nautical engineer obviously, but since our small IMF
main has a small leech to avoid the backstays and to fit in the mast,
it is easy to see that we by design are destined for a little lee
helm.  Other boats with bigger mains and fuller leechs are less prone.
 One example that I get to sail sometimes is a Flying Scot (200 sq.
foot main vs. our IMF's 100)  It never has lee helm no matter the sail
configuration used.

You can mitigate lee helm to a certain extent by choosing the longest
forestay length you can get and then tightening the aft lower stays to
rake the mast back as far as you can get it to take most of the slack
out of the forestay  Then tighten the forward lower stays.  Somebody
on the list posted some pictures awhile back of their boat with the
mast raked back.  It was noticeably raked back-further then I am able
to get mine to go.  That should help a lot; but you don't want to over
do it because when the wind picks up, you will have too much weather
helm and it will slow the boat down and wear you out having to hold
it.  Mine is just slightly aft of plumb and it seems just fine to me.
Still in light air, I have just a bit of lee helm; but as the wind
comes up, the main becomes more effective and it goes away.  This is
by design and nothing to worry about.

Some very good advice that Rummy gives and I have used is not to reef
the main until there is no other alternative.  Since our main reefs
forward and not down; as you reef, you are moving the CE closer to the
CLR and lee-helm will increase meaning you can't carry as big a jib.
Drop the boom and reef the jib first.  This helps with heeling angle
too.  Also, if I remember from experimenting-putting the centerboard
down on my boat moves the CLR aft contributing to more lee helm.  I
need to check that again to make sure, but I think that is what
happens.

So in light wind, if I need to point I go ahead and put the CB down
and play the lee-helm with the genoa all the way out.  My 175 is blown
out, so my lee helm is worse then it has to be.  With the CB up and
the mast raked back, I don't see any problems, just have to remember
to hold a little un-natural pressure on the tiller.

In strong wind,  heeling angle always seems to be the overriding
concern to me and not lee helm.   I leave the CB up and keep the
lowered main fully unfurled with just enough jib sheet in to stay in
balance (slight weather helm).  I even sail the boat main only if
conditions warrant.  You don't sail on a beat very fast and it is
harder to tack, but I can take a lot of wind that way.  I found on
main only that it is easier to tack if you let the traveler out all
the way out to leeward.  I also practice it on less windy days, so I
am ready when I need it.

David

Message: 25