[Rhodes22-list] What a Drag

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jul 3 21:54:21 EDT 2009

Advertisements for the MacGregor 26M and the Hunter Edge show people being
towed on water skis.  We may not be able to do that with our Rhodes but we
can tow three goofy teenagers and a dinghy.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24330589/Rope%2BTow.jpg Rope+Tow.jpg

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24330589/Dinghy.jpg Dinghy.jpg

We had some wind today.  When all five adults were on board we were doing
over five knots on a close reach with the dinghy in the water.  Dragging the
boys we were doing just under three knots most of the time.  I can see why
cruisers tow their dinghies.  Must not slow them down that much.

I know some of you know Jim Morrison, the guy who circumvented the Eastern
Shore of Maryland in his Rhodes22.  He's in the next dock over and while
waiting for my crew today I had a beer on his "new" Tartan.  It's a
beautiful boat and a far more capable cruiser, but he's still a huge Rhodes
fan.  Every boat is a compromise.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD