[Rhodes22-list] the war of the rhodeses

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 13 12:09:32 EDT 2009

Dear Rhoadies,

I am a little baffled by a new issue which Stan is calling "the war of the rhodeses".  Life is just too short for this.  It could never touch the vindictive political dialogue of an earlier era.  Stan and I effectively disolved a short term 'joint venture' in June 2008 after two years of what I would call an 'unresponsive' relationship.  I will not be drawn into a dramatic replay of this rather boring story.  You would not be distracted from sailing your magnificent Rhodes 22 for a New York minute, instead would quickly put you to sleep.  If you care to know detail I will gladly provide more scoop in a private phone conversation, I just don't think it is appropriate to put personal and private matters in this public forum.  I can be reached at any time at 404 295-7777, so please do call if you want to.

I have been entirely pleased with my original R22, now skippered by John Lock, and now 'Mary Jane', an '86 named for my wife's mother.  Realizing the inherent limitations of any 22' boat, just like my former O'Day 222, I took the initiative many years ago to expand my use and value to be more like a 28' boat without having to size up.  It makes sense for my boat.  Apparently it has also made sense for a number of others, with whom I agreed to share the benefit of the cockpit enclosure and extended bimini cover.  Honestly I am certain there is no better enclosure, and at a signicantly better cost.  In a custom job, I even made a bird cover for one of our fleet who 'didn't enjoy sailing in a chicken coop'.  Happily, now he does not.

Are you asleep yet?  I'm working on it.

Let me paint a little picture - After I retired I bought a Rhodes to sail, later also some fabrication equipment to do some projects, and have enjoyed doing canvas work for myself and others because I like the challenge.  If I have become any threat to a  '"non-profit status, yet commercial boat manufacturer, which makes a top-of-the-line boat, designed by one of the greatest known sailing architects, built in an expansive factory which even has it's own luxury suite for visitors",  then someone please send me an aspirin!  If anything I can accomplish for our skippers has a negative effect on the future of this storied company, I will seriously suggest a thorough head examination.

When I first responded to Bill Effros' commission initiative to build a prototype Boom Room for Stan's approval in '06, I told him and Stan that the 'value added' factor in expanding the boat into more of a pocket cruiser would far exceed any cost to accomplish, and time has proven this true.  I always have, always will promote the Rhodes 22 as the premier 22' boat of it's class, and BTW, this boat with a quality enclosure the premier 28'plus equivalent pocket cruiser.  Buy them up while they are available, sailors, because at 83, Stan is likely to retire within the next 15-20 years.

Ok, time to check your pulse, I can send an aspirin to you...

I appreciate your ear on this matter.  I could not "sink the rhodes" with my little projects. I do not discourage their business. I only want to promote it.

Stan for President!  Rose for Ms. America!

R,

Art