[Rhodes22-list] bilge water, or taking a leak

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 08:08:13 EDT 2009

With all the talk about leaks and water in the bilge, I thought I'd
share another source just in case anybody else was having this
"problem".  Our boat was recycled last year.  From time to time, I
noticed water in either the bilge or in the laz.  Experiments showed
that it was not from rain.  Was it the CB cap?  To make a long story
short after some further detective work I found that it was from the
built-in water tank.  This water tank is located forward of the
portapotty.  It has a 1/2" hose barb connection at the very top, aft
corner.  If you fill this tank with water, and then go sailing where you
are heeled over to starboard for a while (like on Pamlico Sound a couple
of weeks ago) then the tank quietly empties into the bilge.
The fix:
Take a 3' piece of 1/2" tubing, stick on the hose barb, tie-wrap the
tubing to the water fill hose.  No more "leaks".
Joe

p.s. the other problem you can run into with this tank and associated
pump is that if it is fairly empty and you sail heeled over to port,
then the hose from the tank to the pump may get an air lock and the pump
won't pump water.  If you've got enough air in your lungs you can blow
on the above mentioned tube to force water up to the pump again.