[Rhodes22-list] 411 on Allegheny Reservoir

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Tue Jul 14 10:34:20 EDT 2009

Mike,

Regarding anchoring I would STRONGLY suggest you bring a pair of cheep
throwaways and leave your danforths and such home. The reservoir is a
ravenous anchor eating monster, over the last summer I lost 3 anchors
despite hours of backing over them in every direction in attempts to free
them. For a while I considered concrete blocks as at least they are
inexpensive. This year I have had success with a set of folding grappell
irons that I found at the local West Marine. They weigh 1 1/2 lbs. cost $15
ea. and look like somthing a ninja would use. I rigged a reversing line to
them and so far I haven't lost one yet. Sometimes I get drug a bit by the
wind but once these things bite you ain't movin son. Will send a picture of
them when I get back.

John