[Rhodes22-list] Boids-- stinkin rotten boids

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 14 16:51:01 EDT 2009

Below is an excerpt from the archives (thread:Organic deck deposits,
http://www.nabble.com/Organic-deck-deposits-to21511058.html#a21549141).
I use Nixalite for birds, squirrels, etc.  It is simple and it works really
well:

    Why go to the trouble of using high tech, powered deterrents?
    Just be a poor host to these birds and they will choose a more
    comfortable boat to hang out.  For years I have been successful
    at ridding my R22. and several other sailboats. of cormorants
    (sea crows) by using Nixalite bird spikes atop the mast
    (http://www.nixalite.com/nixalitemodels.aspx).

    Before raising the mast, drill a couple of small holes (1/8", I
    think) as described in the Nixalite installation instructions in
    the masthead (top) to secure the clips that hold a small portion
    of the product to the masthead with short stainless self-tapping
    screws.  The spikes stick straight up when the mast is stepped
    (be careful of VHF aerial and Windex, if so equipped) and do
    not interfere with the sail.  Additionally, I use a couple of pieces
    of 20 to 30 pound test monofilament line strung from the mast
    to the side stays, starting an inch or so above each spreader.
    This prevents the birds from roosting on the top of the spreaders
    as well.

    Obviously, this does not work if the birds tend to sit on the
    deck, rails, boom or bimini.  For this problem, you may need
    to be more creative or temporarily place monofilament line at
    appropriate locations to be removed when the boat is occupied.
    The time spent setting up and removing the deterrents is a
    fraction of the time necessary to constantly clean up after the
    birds.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY