[Rhodes22-list] the war of the rhodeses

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Thu Jul 16 12:25:19 EDT 2009

Dear Rhodies:

Art says we are boring you all with this issue, that it is a private,
personal matter and not appropriate to discuss in this forum.  He is
incorrect.  It is a fundamental issue to GB's well being and therefore to
you, to the extent of your interest in your Rhodes.   We suggest you hear it
out until resolved one way or another.

Should you need a new IMF mast or centerboard or rudder blade or endless
other unique parts that Art or others do not choose to invest in producing -
and GB is not here, no one is going to be able to make your boat whole
again.   There is good reason why most of us would not buy a car that is out
of production - there is certainly good reason why the Rhodes is not only
easy to sell but also demands a premium price over boats no longer being
built.  The former editor of Practical Sailor, in his book recommending
trailer sailboats, ends his list by pointing out that the Rhodes is the only
suggested choice still in production.

If not for the many private sellers and purchasers going along with the
voluntary GB loyalty/royalty program (which incidentally, Art, who has
purchased and sold several Rhodes privately, would not agree to) and not for
parts sales such as Pop Top enclosures (which, incidentally, we have $10,000
worth of sitting here in inventory), in an economy such as this, where not a
single new boat is being sold, GB would have no choice but to abandon this
ship.

OK, you can stop reading here. But for anyone wanting to understand why we
are so troubled by this particular Parts issue, a little background on an
agreement that, we now learn from Art's e-mail to the List,  has
unilaterally "mutually" agreed to have ended:
Art worked on this project inside the GB plant, used the GB "not-the-Hilton"
facilities, displayed the product in hard to get and costly water space that
GB worked out during the Annapolis Boat Show and that GB ended up paying
for, including even an additional day that Art unilaterally elected to take.
At the St. Petersburg Show, where after several years of trying, we managed
a valuable water space, after hearing Art had his boat in FL, we asked if he
would like to promote the boom room at this show.  We returned Dr. Fullers'
beautiful new boat that we had planned to use for demos from this space in
favor of Art using it with the understanding that we could use his boat for
an occasional demo for a qualified pending prospect.  When Elton did take a
prospect to Art's boat he found Art was not honoring the Show hours and the
boat was chain-locked to the dock.  Art's position, "No one sails my boat".
When we did mange Art to give a demo sail we explained to him that part of
the demonstration is that we go in and out of the large harbor under sail as
the competition does and that demos are only an hour in case another hot
prospect comes along.   Art refused to sail and each time went to and from
the bay under power.  I suppose once sailing he was in his element since he
stayed away for hours and few demos were done during the show.  Art's
remarkable position:  He was a volunteer and could therefore make his own
rules - just like volunteers for the army or the Red Cross.  Elton finally
blew his top when, after arranging for our hottest prospect to make a long
trip back to St. Petersburg on Sunday for a demo sail, Art announced that he
was leaving the show a day early - after all he was a volunteer and could
make his own rules from moment to moment.   I certainly felt like an idiot
not having put Dr. Fuller's boat in that precious dock space.   I do not
know if Art ever did show the boom room.

The deal with Art pertained only to the boom room, with shared income from
its sales.  It was not for competing with other parts like the Pop Top
enclosures which we have an inventory investment in.   Of course it is a
free country and a free market and, of course, we all have seen what
unregulated "freedom" can do to our economy.   To believe GB has the freedom
to keep investing in new ideas and keep investing in promoting the boat and
taking care of current Rhodies' needs, for the non-rewarding benefit of
private re-sales and parts sales for others to profit from, is a fantasy.
It is important for us to have your feedback on these kind of issues.   We
need the support of our owners if we are to keep worrying and working to
keep our owners sailing and keep the value of their boats growing.  Or do we
just stop being so damn conscientious and say the hell with it and go
sailing ourselves?  (No need for us to hear Rummy's answer to that last
question.)

stan/gbi