[Rhodes22-list] Boom Vang for Mast Stepping

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 23 10:26:36 EDT 2009

All,

Since long before I could spell Rhodes 22 I have used either a boom vang or main sheet  blocks with a gin pole to step and unstep the mast.  It was a heavy task with a conventional mast, moreso with an IMF, although very do-able.  I think Ed K used and recommended the same setup, not sure.  We already have the MA of the main sheet rig, what about getting better than 3:1 or 4:1 ratio?  I am going to try the Harken recommended vang setup described on www.harken.com/rigtips/vang.php and report if anyone is interested.  The setup is 8:1 Cascaded Fiddle, the second diagram on the right side.  Doesn't really look more complicated, another block and some additional line.  Thoughts?

Some months ago I trialed two triple blocks in order to get 6:1 MA and found it was no practical advantage over what I use now.  I was using 3/8" line, maybe more friendly with 5/16.

This may be helpful for other poor Rhoadies out there.  Post me off-list if you prefer not being a dart board.

The canvas guy,

Art
s/v Mary Jane
Atlanta/St Pete