[Rhodes22-list] Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compression post. (final update and an anecdote on rigging tension))

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Tue Jul 28 11:45:57 EDT 2009

It's good that it didn't come out, but one of the features of your Rhodes is
that if you lose one of your shrouds, the other two should keep your mast
upright.  I've had that happen in the past -- not under heavy conditions --
and it wasn't scary at all.

The worst problem I had was maybe a month after the boat was delivered.  The
forward stay/genoa came disconnected under sail on a windy day with rolling
waves.  I was able to furl the sail, go forward with a spare pin, lie on my
belly, and after several tries, use the momentum of the wave action to drop
it into place.  I'm sure it took several tries to grab it and get the pin
through, but I succeeded and then continued to sail.

The lesson there is that even though they aren't super far in front of the
mast, the most forward shrouds will keep the mast from falling into the
cockpit.  What a disaster that would be!

Ben