[Rhodes22-list] Rigging discussion, extra forestay(s)

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 28 14:14:37 EDT 2009

Art's addition of a furling spinnaker attached to the reinforced bow
pulpit reminded me of a sail plan change I have been contemplating.
So I thought I would run it by the list for comments.

I saw an article recently about a guy (on a much larger boat) who had
added an inner forestay about six inches behind the main forestay.
This ran to a mast "hound" (it was called) on the mast six inches
below the masthead where the main forestay attached.  The result was a
hank-on jib stay running six inches inside the main forestay.  He used
this for a smaller, working jib and furled a big genoa on the main
forestay.

So I was thinking.... could this be applied to the much smaller Rhodes
as well?  Attachment to the mast is easy.  Attaching a strong point to
the deck just behind the furling drum is the tricky part.  I might be
tempted to add this to fly a 110% jib for upwind sailing and replace
the big genoa on the main forestay with a furling UPS for offwind.

But I don't know how to calculate the load on the inner forestay and
engineer/install a deck attachment that would be strong enough.

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA