[Rhodes22-list] Stuff that works - pest control solutions

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 28 14:28:45 EDT 2009

Last year I had a couple of pest problems that many people responded
too with helpful suggestions.  Here's what my results were -

1) Problem - spider webs in the rigging (especially masthead fly)
Solution - WD40.  I had the mast down early this spring to fix several
things.  Before raising again, I sprayed WD40 liberally on the
masthead, Windex, VHF antenna, and diamond stays.  So far (5 months
later) not a single web!  Still get them down lower where I didn't
spray, so we know the spiders are still there.  But they don't want to
(or can't) start webs on the WD40 treated portion.

2) Problem - paper wasps building nests under the cockpit coaming
Solution - clothes drier sheets.  Middle of last summer I stapled a
bunch of drier sheets into the wood backing up under the coaming on
both sides.  No wasp nests have appeared in almost a year now.  I see
some more wasp activity now, so I suspect it's time to renew the
sheets.  But that's a cheap and effective control.

Now if only I could figure out what to do about the ants coming aboard
from shore....

Cheers!
John Lock