[Rhodes22-list] Stuff that works - pest control solutions

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 28 15:51:52 EDT 2009

I am all for wasps and spiders... as long as they stay out of my
boat.  That's why I refrained from just poisoning the crap out of them
to get rid of them.

Interesting side story - I've got a stack of pool noodles stored in my
boat house for swimming in the lake.  Got them out to use recently and
noticed that they rattled inside, like they had rocks in the center.
There is about a half-inch hole running thru the center of these.  So
I knocked it against the dock to shake out whatever was in there.

Out comes a batch of hardened red mud - mud dauber wasps had built
their nests inside the pool noodles.  Not so unusual, but what was
unusual was all the desiccated spider bodies that came out also!
Apparently these wasps prey on spiders and store in the mud nests for
food when the larva hatch!  Maybe I should have enlisted more mud
daubers to deal with the spiders!

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22