[Rhodes22-list] Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compressi...

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jun 3 14:17:18 EDT 2009

At 12:10 PM 6/3/2009, you wrote:
>What is the proper way to secure the stay?  Tape, wire, pins or
>some other devise?

Anything that goes through the ring on the turnbuckle screw and
around the body of the turnbuckle will work. We started with cotter
rings but they were a pain to remove if you wanted to adjust
something. Moved to zip-ties which were great until we replaced some
turnbuckles when we got new rigging and we couldn't find zip-ties
small enough for the holes in the new turnbuckle screws. We now use
monel wire threaded through the hole and wrapped around the
turnbuckle body. Bend the ends inward. Easily removed with pliers or
a Leatherman. We also use monel wire on the anchor shackle, and the
schackles on the jib halyard and tack of the jib.

We also use rigging tape on the cotter rings securing the clevis pins
to the chainplates in places where they may get rubbed and snagged by lines.

Mary Lou.