[Rhodes22-list] Subject: Re: Re design of Rhodes Interior and elimination of compressi...

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Thu Jun 4 14:27:08 EDT 2009

John:

Email is impersonal sometimes-just don't want anyone I don't know in person
to get the wrong impression.  We are all just trying to have fun here and
learn something.

Communication is key and I just picked up on something in your last post and
that was that you had compression problems on the port side of the boat.  My
problem was also on the port side.  The port side is also where the aft stay
tensioner line is tightened and secured on my boat.  Is it the same on your
boat?

That port aft stay has a lot of tension on it when in use.  I have been
guessing that the aft stays were over-tighten on my boat and left that way
which caused the cabin top to start bending over the top of the support
bulkhead.  Roger tuned his boat very tightly but cautioned that he always
released the aft stay tension when the boat was not in use.  Maybe now we
know why.  There is a huge mechanical advantage with the aft stays that you
don't have with the sides.  Rodger's example was tying both ends of a
 "banana" but this boat is no banana.   In my simple mind it is more like a
crossbow and arrow... and the mast is the arrow.

I checked the upper side shrouds yesterday and I am carrying 180 lbs on the
Loos gauge so closer to your numbers then I thought but well below Rodger's.
 What I should have checked is how much tension I have on the aft stays when
they are tightened.  Just by feel, I am guessing 240 but it may be more.

The lesson here MAY BE and I caution it's only a MAYBE is that you must
always make sure to release the aft stay tension when the boat is not in use
or you may face a compression problem over time.   Boats get pounded by chop
even in the slip and I can see something is eventually going to flex under
constant high tension.   I would assume that everyone is already doing that.
 I always have.

David