[Rhodes22-list] Puget Sound Fleet Sail

caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 15:01:14 EDT 2009

Hi Guys,

Lets welcome Dick Hinshaw, another N W Rhodes 22 owner to our Fleet Sail.  Glad to meet you, and am looking forward to sailing with you.

Meeting Point for Launching

Let us meet at Washington Park for launch and departure on Monday June 15th.   Recreational Boaters can park their vehicle and trailer for a maximum of 14 days, at a fee of $8.00 per day.  It has camping cooking and shower facilities.  I understand that there are other launch and park facilities close by that are free; we can explore that when we get there.

First Leg

We are fortunate in that tides and current will be favorable for our first, and south west leg to the southern tip of Lopez Island.  We can stop for a lunch in Hunter Bay, or around the tip of the Island in Mackaye Harbor.  I would like to set Roche Harbor, on the San Juan Island, as our end of the day destination.

Second Leg

>From sailing around the southern shore or Lopez Island and the Southwestern coastline of San Juan Island, we can leave Roche Harbor, with Echo Bay on Sucia Island as our next overnight destination.  We may want to visit Stuart, Waldron, and Patos Island on our way to Sucia, or we may want to make a bee line for Echo Bay, so that we may have time to do a bit of exploring on the beaches or hiking trails.

Third Leg
Most of us are very flexible with regard to sailing destinations.  It appears that we just want to sail our boats and enjoy the sights, sounds, and general beauty of the area.  One pattern of sailing recommended was that every other night we overnight at a marina where we can have access to shower facilities.   If any member of the fleet has a desire to visit a specific place, please let us know, so that we can give it a high priority.  Sailing around the islands is all I want to do, and it goes without saying, enjoying good company as well.

BBQ at Jay & Julia

Jay & Julia, members of the N W Rhodes 22 Owners Group, will be hosting us at their place on Orcas Island of Friday afternoon, so wherever we sail, we will want to get to the Orcas Island Yacht Club, from where we will be taken to their place for this social.  Thanks to Jay and Julia for their hospitality.

Question for Jay & Julia

Will it be possible for you to sail with us on Friday?  If so, we will plan to spend Thursday night in some cove close to where you keep your boat.

Chris wrote:
Hey Caesar,
                    Well the last day for the kids was yesterday and it was yesterday that I finished up my professional portfolio (necessary for my continuing teaching liscense)  So now I can get back to getting the boat ready.  It is going to be close.  I will start painting the boat tomorrow, I work Monday and Tuesday.  So I will finish up at least the topsides and transom so I can reinstall the hardware.  I am concerned that the paint won’t be really cured before I trailer it up north.  We shall see.  The way things are looking I may have a crew or three or one, or single hand the boat, any way it will be fun.  I hope to put into the water at the marina, at the port of Anacortes.   Was this where everyone is putting in?  It looks more like I will be there late Saturday the 13th .  I guess I would launch in on Sunday am.  How does this sound?  Who all will be there and when?  Did you figure out what the first
 destination will be.  I am totally flexible and will go with the flow.
Caesar’s Response:
 It's fun to work with kids Chris, they keep you engaged.  I hope your painting job goes well.  Looking forward to seeing the boat, and I have a few questions to for you about touch up work on dings and scratches.

The plan is to put in at Washington Park, which is two or three miles past Anacortes.  It's on the Loop Rd off Commercial St.  Take Route 20, off I 5 to Anacortes, and follow the signs to Washington Park.

My buddy and I will get there on Sunday evening, June 14th, and be ready to set sail on Monday morning.

Give me a call when you get there on Saturday or anytime.  My cell # 509-592-5321;  home #509334-3038.