[Rhodes22-list] Sailboat Cushions Question

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Wed Jun 17 16:07:35 EDT 2009

Carol, You have received some good advise from your upholstery person
for most marine exposure. Vinyl materials differ, but, the sun and heat
are factors to consider. Most vinyl materials get very warm, sticky and
susceptible to puncture. Your dogs claws could be a bad mix for vinyl.
The fabric mesh used by Stan is for a reason. The choice of closed cell
foam vs dry fast foam is a toss up but don't ignore the potential mold
factor with cushions. Can the cushions be stored in an area that has
some ventilation that allows drying out? If you do have your cushion
recovered be sure to have a non-slip botton material like the open
weave shelf liner material. Consider a small ridge fastened to the
bottom of the cushions in the front and back that line up with the
drain grooves moled in the boat seats. Before we installed 3/8" PVC to
the boat seat cushions they would often slide off the seat with and
without a person seated in the high side. Good Luck Jim J