[Rhodes22-list] too windy--Now Centeboard Effect

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jun 23 10:17:46 EDT 2009

Chris,

So far this season has been too wet & windy for many good sailing days, but
it doesn't sound like that's stopped you too much.  I should have knocked on
wood when I said there are a lot of days with little wind around here in the
summer.  Yesterday evening the wind prediction dropped from 16 mph winds to
9 to 11, which is just perfect for me.  When I started out the actual wind
was only 4 knots and immediately dropped to about 2 knots for over an hour.
It eventually picked up to 6 knots about the time I had to go in.

Per Stan's sailing tutorial, you need the centerboard down in light wind
more than heavy, if you want to make any progress into the wind.  I never
actually measured the effect of the centerboard but it seemed like it helped
about 10 degrees and at worst caused a half knot decrease in speed due to
drag.

With little current and no chop at 1.2 knots I raised the centerboard and
the boat came off the wind exactly 20 degrees and sped up to 2.2 knots.  I
was surprised.  Later I had the board down at 2.4 knots and again I lost 20
degrees and sped up 1 knot when I raised the board.  I still assume that
performance would be less affected at higher speeds, but I wasn't expecting
the signficant difference caused by the board.  Really makes you think about
the drag caused by keels.  Even if you're racing an experienced J-22
skipper, in light winds you might have a noticeable advantage against her
fixed keel.

Lee