[Rhodes22-list] Too Windy--Now Centerboard Effect

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Thu Jun 25 13:51:40 EDT 2009

Agree with Rummy... The 175 requires the right conditions and bodies.
Still, for most people, I think it is the right sail to have on the
furler if you have some rail meat.  But, since I am always
single-handed, I am dropping back to a 150 or 155% the next time
around.  The 175% stays rolled up on my boat too much of the time.
However, my experience is that the boat will point higher with the
175% fully unfurled then it will reefed down to the the outer shroud.

My best pointing/speed combination single-handed seems to be:  Full
main, boom lowered, genoa sheet inside the outer shroud and
centerboard down.  Also, traveler a little to windward if not
over-powered.   This would be in wind of about 12-15 kts.  I estimate
the angle to the wind at about 45 degrees... Might do better with a
newer genoa sail and a luff tape.  I have tried sheeting in to the
inside cleats on the cabin top, maybe point a little closer but lose
too much speed.  In a big blow though, this might be useful.

Anybody using a 150 or 155% genoa and know the dimensions?

Thanks,
David