[Rhodes22-list] Cowl Vent

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 10:42:53 EDT 2009

Gentleman,
Leave the chain attached to the anchor and drape it around it so it is
always handy. Pulling the chain out of the locker is unnecessary and creates
wear and tear on the cowl collar. From a scientific standpoint, the cowl is
designed to work best with it facing away from the wind direction. This
eliminates any water from entering and creates more ventilation. It's all based
 on the venturi effect. Carrying a plastic basket from the cockpit to the
bow and  connecting it to the anchor chain is a lot less work than trying to
pull and  stuff crap through the cowl vent. All the water and mess from the
anchor line  stays in the cockpit and not in the cabin. Many areas don't
have nice sandy  bottoms so the anchor line will start to smell just like the
bottom conditions.  Your admiral will not appreciate that damp muddy flats
bottom crap smell being  in her cabin.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/26/2009 7:33:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,