[Rhodes22-list] Cowl Vent

Ronald Lipton ronald.lipton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:22:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

  I singlehand a lot and always wear a inflatable with a built-in harness.
I run the jackline between the bow cleat and the port rear cleat.  The
harness/jackline
is supposed to be set to keep you on the boat, but I am not
sure that it can really be setup to do that on such a small boat, but it
at least keeps the boat from
sailing away.  It would also be difficult to get back on the boat once
off, since the jackline
runs inside the outside stay.    It can also be a bit awkward to
maneuver at times - and
sometimes I think it may be more trouble than it it worth, but the
alternative could be real bad.

Last weekend there were at least two deaths near Chicago, one on on a
fishing boat the other on
a sailboat.  No lifejackets in either case.  There are conflicting
stories about the sailboat.
One puts the boat in DuSable Harbor, the second in neighboring Monroe
Harbor (where I
am).   The latest story said that the sailboater drowned while trying to
retrieve a suitcase
that he dropped into the lake.  I assume this was while they were under
sail, but it is not
clear from the story,

Ron