[Rhodes22-list] Anchor baskets ala Rummy

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 29 10:43:20 EDT 2009

Last year we had this discussion and Rummy posted his rode-keeping
method of just flaking into a plastic basket and storing under the
cockpit seats.  I was having trouble lugging my 100-ft of tangled mess
around the boat and decided to give that a try.  See attached photo.

So far it has worked perfectly for me.  I expanded on Rummy's design
somewhat by searching for baskets that just fit snugly under the
cockpit seats.  These are Sterlite baskets from Walmart and they stay
put under the seats.  I also drilled extra holes in the bottom to aid
drainage and I made a hole on the rim to clip on the chain end of the
rode.  This makes it easy to find, clip it on the bow anchor while
it's in the hangar, and then drop it over the side.  If I'm in really
deep water I'll fish out the bitter end and cleat it off first.  But
most times I just let it pay out of the basket by hand until I've got
enough out then cleat it off.  Retrieval is just as easy - bring in
the rode and let it flake naturally into the basket.  Hang the anchor
back up and detach the clip and reclip to the basket rim.  One-handed
haul back to the cockpit to stow it under the seat.  I suppose if I
was in rough water I'd deploy from the cockpit, but it's not often an
issue for lake sailors.

Cheers!
John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22