[Rhodes22-list] 1st Sail of the Season

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Mar 21 17:44:24 EDT 2009

Rory,

I think "soon" may be today.  If yesterday was exciting and fun, today was
perfect.  Replaced my stocking cap with ear muffs and a baseball cap, and
replaced my mittens with gloves--didn't get uncomfortable at all during
about 2 hours of sailing and 30 minutes of motoring.

The forecast was for a 2 mph wind, which usually means a zero mph wind as it
changes directions.  However, wind was steady out of the north at 5 knots
and chop was less than a foot.

Starboard tack, full main, Genoa to outside shroud (130%?), board up, poptop
up, tiller locked at 3 degrees to the wind, 70 degree close reach measured
by compass, 3 degree heel, speed at 3.5 knots.  Literally did not touch the
tiller for an hour until it was time to tack.

Port tack, same conditions except about a 6 degree heel due to the motor.
Let out the full Genoa to 170% and speed picked up to 3.8 knots.  Didn't
touch the tiller again until I was back at the marina.

Cruise control almost the entire way.  There can't be an easier boat to sail
than a Rhodes.

Forecast for tomorrow:  a little more warm and a little more windy.  I think
it's time you put her in the water.  Oxford might even be warmer.

Lee