[Rhodes22-list] lower the boom

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sun May 3 13:26:40 EDT 2009

Went out sailing on the chesapeake bay yesterday.  Brisk 10 knt breeze in and
out of rain showers.  As the wind picked up I rolled in the main and genoa
about 25%, then lowered the boom.  Lowering the boom made a huge difference,
very little weather helm and the boat settled right down.  I really like
this feature and feel more confident handling more wind.  As the wind let up
and I started heading down wind I decided to lift the boom back up but had a
hard time getting the pin to drop  back into the up position.  After about a
dozen trys it finaly settled back in.  Any suggetions on raising the boom?
Should the boom be level, topping lift slack or tight, sail furled in or
out?