[Rhodes22-list] Long details re: a trailering experience

Eric Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:07:53 EDT 2009

Claude,

The "sweet spot" will vary with the amount of stuff in the back of the boat.
The more stuff in the back of the boat, the further it will need to be ahead
on the trailer. If the boat is too heavy behind the trailer axle, it will
always fish-tail. When this happens, you need to take the heavy stuff out of
the cockpit and move it into the cabin to increase the tongue weight. I used
to take the rudder and motor off. Rudder went in the cabin and the motor
went in the back of the truck. I understand that if you are using the 9.9 or
8 horse Yamaha or any of the heavier motors, taking them off all the time is
difficult at best. If you can't remove that weight from the transom, you
WILL have to get the boat further ahead on the trailer to make up for that
weight in the stern.

Rik