[Rhodes22-list] new engine, power tiller?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 6 17:17:44 EDT 2009

I've written about our engine issues and set-up a number of different
times. If you search the archives, you might find it. If not and for
the benefit of anyone new, here's a brief summary. Everybody else
including Joe, can skip ahead, you've heard it all before.

Rather than put our engine controls on the tiller, we mounted remote
controls under the tiller on a table leg. It's removable and you can
stow the assembly under the seat. Pictures are here (you may have to
cut and past if they go over more than one line):
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20071003/d98ce8ea/attachment.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20071003/d98ce8ea/attachment-0001.jpg

These are Honda controls that we had for our old Honda 8. We had that
motor for 9 years of faithful service before it abruptly gave up the
ghost due to saltwater corrosion and salt clogging of all the cooling
passageways. If you are going to be operating the boat in salt water
make sure you have an easy way to flush the engine with fresh water.
Because we leave the boat in a slip there was no easy way to flush
the old engine - you had to attach a hose to an earmuff type
connection freshwater intake or run it in a barrel. When we went
looking for a replacement we ended up with a Yamaha because of the
ease of freshwater flushing. The Yamaha techs were able to reuse the
Honda controls on the Yamaha. So far, we've been happy with the motor
and the installation.

There is lots more discussion of this in the archives in October and
November 2007 under the subjects of "Repowering Fretless" and
"Question for Mary Lou"

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD