[Rhodes22-list] FL Sailing Trip

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue May 12 14:28:13 EDT 2009

David,

While there have been many studies concerning the release of dioxins from plastics when heated (food preparation in microwaves) they have, at best, been inconclusive.  Most of the studies involved exposing the plastic to very high temperatures not experienced in food preparation when used according to the manufacturer's directions (food would be incinerated.)  Still, many people choose to cook in microwave ovens only using glass or ceramic products.

I have yet to find any reputable statements regarding freezing water in plastic containers.  Most of the emails have cited a J Hopkins study, although no one at JH knows of such a study ( http://www.jhsph.edu/dioxins .)  In fact, the website states:
  The Internet is flooded with messages warning against freezing water in plastic bottles or cooking with plastics in the microwave oven. These messages, frequently titled "Johns Hopkins Cancer News" or "Johns Hopkins Cancer Update," are falsely attributed to Johns Hopkins and we do not endorse their content.
  Freezing water does not cause the release of chemicals from plastic bottles.

  In general, it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations when using any plastic products. When cooking with plastics, only use those plastic containers, wraps, bags and utensils for their intended purposes.

Enjoy the frozen bottled water.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "David Bradley" Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:03 AM
I have read that freezing water in plastic bottles can release some of
the compounds in the plastic and introduce carcinogens into the water.
 Not sure I would make a steady diet of the meltwater.  Same goes for
letting the water in plastic bottles get heated, as in sitting in a
hot car or cabin.

I'm not usually too worried about this stuff but this one got my attention.

Dave

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Bob Keller
<r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> As Art described, he did provide us with a remote controlled light that attached by magnet to the boom room cover. This was plenty of light to use for reading on the trip, but we used to use a battery powered lantern/spotlight.
>

> On the fridge, I was hoping to freeze the ice box and then drink the water as it melts, but I guess I shouold use milk jugs as you suggest.
>
> Bob K
>
>> From: mweisner at ebsmed.com
>> To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
>> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:41:33 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] FL Sailing Trip
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Looks like a real nice trip. Western FL in May is usually great weather.
>> Glad that you
>> lucked out.
>>
>> I agree, the BR is a great addition. I am budgeting for one. Is there a
>> way to deploy the canopy so that it serves the place of a bimini (under the
>> boom)? I would love to get rid of the bimini but I roast in the sun.
>>
>> I have been wondering what kind of lighting you have in the BR. We use a
>> battery powered lantern which is nice, but not really bright enough. I
>> would like to use LED rope lights along the BR frame. Has anyone found a
>> good source of rope lights that will run off 12V (rather than use the
>> inefficient AC inverter power?) Art, have you made a BR with an integral
>> lighting system?
>>
>> As far as the ice goes, I freeze water in half-gallon milk containers and
>> they last for days, probably due to less surface area than ice cubes. If
>> the container fails, I just toss it in a recycling bin. I try to find the
>> ones with screw on caps so that they do not leak into the fridge box since
>> mine is also cracked. I doubt that it can be repaired, although you may be
>> able to place a membrane inside to stop the leaks from condensate. We also
>> freeze Poland Spring half-liter bottles right out of the Costco packing.
>> They also last a pretty long time. For box lunches, we just pack a frozen
>> bottle with the lunch to keep it cold and for drinking water at lunch (if it
>> is liquid.)
>>
>> Mike
>> s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
>> Nissequogue River, NY
>>
>> From: "Bob Keller" Monday, May 11, 2009 1:55 PM
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> My wife and I just returned from a trailersailing trip to southwest Florida
>> last week and I wanted to share some findings and pictures with the group.
>> We drove from Richmond Hill, GA (near Savannah) to Punta Gorda, FL (100
>> miles south of Tampa) on Saturday and it took us 7.5 hours (420 miles). Art
>> Czerwonky and Tom Simpson drove down to meet us at the municiple marina and
>> boat ramp called Laishley Park. It is a great facility and the day we got
>> there they were having a redfish tournament with professionals and ESPN
>> coverage. Other than tight parking, it did not impact us at all. This was
> [...]

David Bradley
+1.206.234.3977
dwbrad at gmail.com