[Rhodes22-list] steaming light fun ....

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Tue May 12 21:29:45 EDT 2009

I'm troubleshooting a recalcitrant steaming/anchor light and am slightly
perplexed.  The forward masthead/anchor light, which is also the steaming or
running light, has not been lighting so far this season.  I finally carried
a multimeter up to Muireann and checked things out more quantitatively.  As
you know there are four pins on the mast wiring harness for lights.  The one
at 10 o'clock appears to be the ground.  The next one clockwise at 2 o'clock
or so appears to be the aft anchor light and is working when the anchor
light switch is on.  One would expect that another pin would also be
energized then for the front anchor light / steaming light, but it is not.
Okay, maybe that's the problem because the front light is not lit when
running light is selected either.  But, a check of continuity shows
continuity only between the ground pin and the aft anchor light pin.  This
implies that both the foward anchor light / steaming light bulb is out
(hence not continuity) and that there is a problem getting power to whatever
pin it is connected to on the four pin harness.  Since the probability of
this is the product of the individual failure probabilities, I'm suspicious.
Anything I"m missing here?