[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake Re: steaming light fun .... mystery partially solved

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 13 09:17:04 EDT 2009

Mike,
A few answers to your Chesapeake questions.

Sketchy plans are good. You' do want to take your planning tools and
be flexible. Your plan (Annapolis, St. Michael's, Rock Hall) is a bit
ambitious but doable if the weather cooperates. If you could squeeze
an extra day in there it would be easier. I wouldn't try to go as far
as the Choptank.

If you are looking for an anchorage in the Magothy, I can personally
recommend the big triangular cove at the top of Gibson Island (often
called Eagle Cove or Eagle's Nest but not marked as such on any
chart). It's quite beautiful. If you want something a little more
sheltered if the winds are kicking up the cove on the east side of
the island in Broad Creek is very nice. the island barely shows as
such on the charts but it's very visible once you are there.

Crossing the Chesapeake is generally only a couple of hours depending
on wind direction. If it's on the nose, it could take a lot longer
under sail. Remember to add the time from the Chesapeake proper to
your destination to your calculations. I.E., it's probably only an
hour plus a little from the Severn to Bloody Point at the mouth of
Eastern Bay but if you are headed to St. Michael's, it's a good half
hour from your mooring in Annapolis harbor to the mouth of the Severn
and it's probably another 2 to 3 hours motoring from Bloody Point up
Eastern Bay and down the Miles to St. Michael's. (My distance chart
says 14 nm from Bloody Point Light to St. Michaels - might be 14.5 by
the time you get into a slip).

There ought to be moorings available in Annapolis. Later in the
season, we tell people to get there around noon because that's when
people who are leaving have to vacate. This time of year it shouldn't
be a problem even on a Saturday. If the moorings in the main harbor
are taken, there are usually some available up past the drawbridge
which opens on the hour and half hour (except weekday rush
hours).  If the winds are from the South or East the main anchorage
gets rolly and it's better up under the bridge. Naval academy
graduation is Friday 5/22 so the city may be starting to get busy.
While you are out and about toward the end of your stay watch for the
Blue Angels practicing. They may not start practicing until Wed. but
they do a fly-by for the graduation and we often see them ahead of time.

St. Michaels is a full day trip from Annapolis or Rock Hall -
especially if you want to sail. It's worth it but you ought to spend
a good portion of a day at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St.
Michaels. I just compiled marina listings for a sailing association
trip there. I'll send them to in a separate email back channel.

Kent Narrows drawbridge opens on the hour and half hour. Make sure
you call to let them know you are waiting. If you call on the VHF,
other boats waiting will hear you and know you are there. There was
at least one instance where I had to call on the cell phone because I
couldn't get an acknowledgement on the VHF. The current is really
strong through there so if you are waiting give yourself room to circle.

We generally figure 4.5 - 5 hours motoring for Rock Hall to St.
Michaels. Motoring time Rock Hall to the Magothy is about 3 hours.
Rock Hall to Annapolis is just under 4 hours motoring.

We'll be out of town until Monday afternoon. Would be glad to connect
after that.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD