[Rhodes22-list] steaming light fun .... mystery partially solved ... curiouser & curiouser

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Thu May 14 10:09:57 EDT 2009

Yeah, I'll to watch that with the 'gators.  The clips I have available have
little rubber boots to help prevent that, but care is certainly required.
The only two pins that are active are the ground and the +12V
anchor/masthead light circuit.  The other two are not connected to anything
at present.  Guess this means I could use one to rig the masthead light so
it could be used both for steaming and anchor, but I'll have to think about
how that would be wired.  Of course, I guess I could just wire them up
separately and *remember* that both the anchor and steaming circuits need
energized to have both masthead lights lit.

Another idea I was kicking around was ditching the Perko that's up there in
favor of a Hella LED anchor/masthead light.  The little 10W Perko fig 71
"festoon" lamp in the masthead fixture really gets toasty.  It's 10W and
there's two of them.  The Hella is 2W for the whole deal.  Defender has the
Hella for $99.  We'll see I guess.

BTW ..... the Plan A : Chesapeake trip is looking iffy, the weather forecast
for there Fri through Sun isn't exactly compelling; looking at a Plan B :
shakedown off Cleveland Friday, boat chores on the trailer Saturday, cruise
the Lake Erie Islands Sun through Wed.  The forecast for Lake Erie is good
Fri, bad Sat, then good Sun onward. .... We'll see how the forecasts do the
next dozen hours of so.  Gotta admit having Muireann on the trailer does
give us a lot more options!

Mike, s/v Muireann