[Rhodes22-list] advice needed from litigious Rhodies

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Thu Nov 5 17:44:37 EST 2009

Chalk this up as free legal advice and you are getting what you pay for..,
I don't see any difference between taking a used car and turning it into a
hot rod and then reselling it.
The world is full of commercial modifiers of other people's products.
    The problem would come in if you represented it as a Catalina. I don't
think that there is even a problem saying "we start with a Catalina"..or
that it is a modified Catalina.. It is.. You are just buying--> modifing--->
selling a used boat. You are not stealing their intelectual property.. just
adding yours.
Once Catalina sells the new boat.. Anyone can do anything they want with it
Of course anyone can sue anyone as you well know, and the cost of defending
yourself is the problem.
                     Rory

stanleyl wrote:

> last time things got bad, to broaden our price marking base  we went into
> recycling Rhodes
>
> this time, to broaden our base and not keep losing those prospects who
> want a little bit bigger boat (since no Rhodes took us up on the Rhodes 27
> projected) we bought a Catalina 25 and have torn it apart.   we are going
> to try and make it into a Catalina-Rhodes hybrid:   IMF, combo keel/cb,
> electric tilting motor lift, etc.
>
> it is being sold as a used Catalina 25 that we have recycled and upgraded.
> Can Frank butler (he owns Catalina) legally complain?
>
> ss

-----
Rory Orkin
Tilghman, Md