[Rhodes22-list] Cruising Books Re: Now electric motor lift

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Nov 11 23:16:42 EST 2009

Around the same time I started sailing or maybe a bit before, I
started reading cruising tales. I still love them and collect them today.

My early favorites were Lin and Larry Pardey's books, Tinkerbelle,
Hal Roth's "Two on a big Ocean" and "After 50,000 Miles", Miles
Smeeton's "Once is Enough" and John Guzzwell's "Trekka Round the
World". Two of the books that came out of the first single-handed
nonstop around the world race in 1968, Bernard Moitessier's "The Long
Way" and Robin Knox-Johnston's "World of My Own" are still favorites
and couldn't be more different from each other in their approach with
Moitessier the dreamy Frenchman and Knox-Johnston the stiff-upper-lip
matter-of-fact Brit.

In a more contemplative vein I highly recommend M. Whylie Blanchett's
"Curve of Time" about cruising BC in an old powerboat with her kids,
the recent book by Elliot Merrick "Cruising at Last" and the classic
"Princess" by Joe Richards. A favorite with local (to me) interest is
Robert De Gast's "Western Wind, Eastern Shore" about his cruise
around the Delmarva Peninsula in a 22 foot Sailmaster.

I could go on and on but I'll stop after I recommend my favorite how
to cruise book "Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach: A
Philosophic and Practical Approach to Cruising" by Don Casey and Lew Hackler

Happy reading,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD