[Rhodes22-list] Leak from above

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Nov 21 16:16:27 EST 2009

I have had a leak at the port rail thru deck fitting that started as a
regular drip early in the season on my new R22 2009.  I removed the rail
nuts from inside the cabin but the rail would not budge.  It seemed like I
would really have to pry to get the rail to budge the and I hate to ruin
what might be a good tight fit so I left the rail in place and used some
clear silicon sealant around the rail were it sits on the cabin top outside.
I think I also read on the list that other thru deck fittings might be the
cause of this type of leak so I also removed the stay attachment and
re-installed with the same clear silicone sealant.  This seemed to abate the
leak for a while but it came back with a vengance when Ida came thru.  The
little plastic cap that conceals the nut from below was wet when I checked
on it Friday.  Is it feasable that any of the other nearby thru deck
fittings could be leaking and the water migrates thru the wood core between
the inner and outer fiberglass shells?  Should I just ago ahead and pry off
the rail and reset with clear silicone?  Is the operable hatch a likely
culprit and should I take out all the screws, pry up the hatch and reset
with silicone sealant?  Has anyone encountered and solved this problem?
Enclosed is a pdf with several photos for reference.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p26459988/r22leak.pdf r22leak.pdf