[Rhodes22-list] Sail removal

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Sat Nov 21 20:37:22 EST 2009

Sounds like I should keep it simple and just leave the sails and
rigging in place.  I had planes to leave the batteries on board since
I have the solar panels.  Do you think I should remove the batteries?

Chris Cowie
Cowie Associates PC

On Nov 21, 2009, at 8:33 PM, "BenCittadino" <bencittadino at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Chris;
>
> For what it's worth I agree with Rick. I'm  a lot further north than
> you and
> I leave the mast up and sails in place while the boat is up on the
> jack-stands at the marina. We pull the batteries, strip the interior,
> winterize the potable and waste water tanks and take the engine off
> and
> store it inside. Art fabricated a
> winter cover for it, but to be honest I had that shipped to the marina
> directly and the crew there is putting it on the boat. I live an
> hour or so
> from the marina (Princeton to Sea Bright-Highlands area) so I
> haven't seen
> it with the cover on yet. I'll get some pics in case anybody wants
> to see
> the cover.
>
> I know the main is protected inside the mast, and I just furl the
> Genny as
> tight as I can and put shock cords around everything (with some cloth
> between the cord and the sails to protect it a little) so the winter
> winds
> don't unfurl anything.
>
> I only got my boat last summer but she wintered over just fine.
>
> Good luck,
>
> BenCittadino
> s/v Susan Kay
>
> Rick-139 wrote:
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> I presume you're referring to the stock GBI furler.  If so,
>> lowering the
>> mast is the only way you can remove the genoa.  IMHO, there is no
>> need to
>> remove either the genny or the main over the winter, especially if
>> you're
>> going to cover the boat anyway.  You can remove the sails for
>> cleaning
>> when
>> they need repaired, which should be years between events.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM, cowie <ccowie at cowieassociates.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I am getting ready to put my boat to bed for the winter and plan to
>>> remove
>>> the sails for cleaning and storage.  My boat is in a slip and will
>>> be put
>>> on
>>> jack stands in the boat yard for the winter in a few weeks.  I
>>> plan to
>>> take
>>> the mast down and leave it in the mast crutch to stretch a canvas
>>> cover
>>> over.  Is it best practice to remove the furling genoa (175) while